Willard Jones Real Estate

Blog

Willard Says...

July 18, 2019

The Willard Jones Building Quiz

By Jonathan Zimmerman

Ready to test your knowledge of downtown Chicago real estate? Well, it’s your lucky day! We hereby present the first ever Willard Jones Building Quiz, past and present. Answers to follow below.

1) Which Loop property had manually operated passenger elevators until 2000?
A) 39 South LaSalle
B) 123 West Madison
C) 40 North Wells
D) 228 South Wabash

2) GE Capital’s Chicago headquarters was once based out of this building:
A) 919 North Michigan
B) 230 West Huron
C) 105 West Madison
D) 29 South LaSalle

3) Which property was originally part of the Illinois Bell office campus?
A) 309 West Washington
B) 100 West Monroe
C) 226 South Wabash
D) 180 West Washington

4) The beloved Dill Pickle deli was located at________:
A) 180 West Washington
B) 36 West Randolph
C) 218 South Wabash
D) 166 West Washington

5) Hannah’s Bretzel’s first ever location is here:
A) 180 West Washington
B) 209 West Jackson
C) 205 West Randolph
D) 309 West Washington

6) The Isolated Pier construction technique was first implemented at ________:
A) 2229 South Michigan
B) 819 South Wabash
C) 40 North Wells
D) 36 West Randolph

7) Which of the following office properties was the first to construct balconies on its exterior façade in the early 1900s?
A) 17 North Wabash
B) 205 West Randolph
C) 230 West Huron
D) 218 South Wabash

8) The AC McClurg Publishing Company was the original anchor tenant of:
A) 2325 South Michigan
B) 223 West Erie
C) 850 South Wabash
D) 218 South Wabash

9) This building was the home of Playboy Enterprises from 1965 – 1989:
A) 160 East Grand
B) 919 North Michigan
C) 200 East Ohio
D) 324 North Michigan

10) Which 3 buildings share a common basement?
A) 19-29-39 South LaSalle
B) 218-226-228 South Wabash
C) 819-828-850 South Wabash
D) 2036 South Michigan-2000 South Wabash-2001 South State

11) The A Bauer Distilling Company had a presence in which of the following properties?
A) 230 West Huron
B) 117 North Jefferson
C) 900 West Jackson
D) 555 West Jackson

12) The City Colleges of Chicago was offered a free space in perpetuity in this building, only to decide during construction that they did not need it after all:
A) 226 South Wabash
B) 205 West Randolph
C) 55 East Randolph
D) 850 South Wabash

13) Which building was once the home of the Reagle Beagle bar?
A) 40 North Wells
B) 230 West Huron
C) 218 South Wabash
D) 160 East Grand

14) Advertisements for Gold Medal Flour, believed to be from the early 1900s, can be found on the third floor walls of which building?
A) 324 North Michigan
B) 160 East Grand
C) 2229 South Michigan
D) 117 North Jefferson

15) Which building was named after the Haymarket Farmers Market?
A) 555 West Jackson
B) 117 North Jefferson
C) 36 West Randolph
D) 205 West Randolph

16) The original use of this building was a coffin manufacturing factory:
A) 2300 South Michigan
B) 819 South Wabash
C) 900 West Jackson
D) 228 South Wabash

17) Before being converted into an office property, which building was previously a movie theater?
A) 2229 South Michigan
B) 117 North Jefferson
C) 850 South Wabash
D) 223 West Erie

18) A Studebaker car showroom was previously located here:
A) 2300 South Michigan
B) 2229 South Michigan
C) 2245 South Michigan
D) 2036 South Michigan

19) A Buick car showroom was previously located here?
A) 2300 South Michigan
B) 2229 South Michigan
C) 2245 South Michigan
D) 2036 South Michigan

20) The Cowpath is part of which Loop office building?
A) 123 West Madison
B) 105 West Madison
C) 100 West Monroe
D) 39 South LaSalle

21) New York Life Insurance had its Chicago headquarters here:
A) 39 South LaSalle
B) 105 West Madison
C) 309 West Washington
D) 180 West Washington

22) Where was the Chicago Bar Association originally located?
A) 29 South LaSalle
B) 205 West Randolph
C) 123 West Madison
D) 36 West Randolph

23) Which of the following is the oldest standing Loop building?
A) 40 North Wells
B) 39 South LaSalle
C) 36 West Randolph
D) 228 South Wabash

24) Which property was originally two separate buildings that were merged together into one?
A) 218 South Wabash
B) 205 West Randolph
C) 160 East Grand
D) 17 North Wabash

25) Which building is known as the McKinlock Building?
A) 218 South Wabash
B) 230 West Huron
C) 166 West Washington
D) 209 West Jackson

Answers:
1) B – The elevator operators were relieved of their duties at 123 West Madison a mere 19 years ago.
2) C – General Electric Capital served as the anchor tenant at 105 West Madison until 2000.
3) A – The Illinois Bell campus included 309 West Washington, 301 West Washington, 208 West Washington and 212 West Washington.
4) D – The Dill Pickle lasted until it was ousted in favor of a Subway restaurant in 1999.
5) A – Florian Pfahler’s highly successful chain originated at 180 West Washington in 2003.
6) C – This innovative style of construction used at 40 North Wells paved the way for future skyscrapers.
7) A – These balconies are still functional today after being restored during a building renovation in 2006.
8) D – McClurg was one of the larger Chicago publishing houses in the early 1900s.
9) B – Better known as The Palmolive Building, Hugh Heffner called 919 North Michigan home for 24 years before relocating to 680 North Lake Shore Drive.
10) B – While each are three separate buildings, 218, 226 and 228 South Wabash all share a common basement.
11) A – Bauer owned several buildings near the intersection of Franklin and Huron in the early 1900s.
12) C – The third floor at 55 East Randolph has never been occupied since it was established in 2003 (hopefully this is about to change).
13) D – The Reagle Beagle at 160 East Grand was a take off of the famous bar that appeared on the television show Three’s Company in the 1980s.
14) A – Still in excellent condition, these ads were painted on the side walls of both neighboring properties and uncovered during a building renovation 10 years ago.
15) B – 117 North Jefferson is located a little over a block away from the original market location.
16) B – To the best of our knowledge, the coffins were all empty when shipped out of 819 South Wabash.
17) C – The Burnham Park Cinema was one of the main attractions in the South Loop, back when the neighborhood was known as Burnham Park.
18) D – 2036 South Michigan was one of many car showrooms in this historic district.
19) C – The Buick emblem still appears on the façade of 2245 South Michigan today.
20) C – 100 West Monroe was forced to build around the “cowpath” when constructed in 1927.
21) A – New York Life was the largest tenant at 39 South LaSalle for most of its tenure as an office building.
22) A – The Chicago Bar Association was based out of 29 South LaSalle until 1990.
23) C – The Delaware Building at 36 West Randolph was built shortly after the Chicago Fire.
24) B – Originally known as 122 North Wells when built in 1915, a 23-story addition was constructed next door and connected to the building in 1928, when it became known as 205 West Randolph.
25) D – A one-time owner of 209 West Jackson, George McKinlock, decided to name the building after himself in 1909.